Friday, July 13, 2018

The best laid plans of mice and CowGrannies...


Ralph did well in his surgery. However, he has had a couple of setbacks, and remains in the hospital. He's been given several pints of blood. (Three, so far I think.) His blood sugar has been over 300+, despite insulin injections. (It has not been this high before). He is in "renal failure", and they now think he may have an unknown infection. Or maybe his bowels haven't awakened after surgery. At any rate, he remains in ICU. He is heavily sedated and back on the ventilator. So, please remember him and Mom in your prayers.
Mom did have my sister in law, Ruby to drive her to the hospital. But Ruby suffered the unexpected loss of her brother this week. So she has had to travel to Tennessee. Mom's been coping on her own.

Last Sunday, we were a Family on the Road. Nickole and I returned from East Texas. Daniel had been to West Texas, and as long as he was there, he brought Kimber and Dakota back with him. Tom drove back from Ohio. Grandchildren Connor, Alana, and Gavin all traveled TO Becky's house for a week. Those three are heading back to Oklahoma tomorrow, when I will take over Gavin for at least a week.
Tuesday, I will travel with the four Grands I have back down to East Texas. Tyrel has Kids For The Nations Camp in Dallas. It is closer for Becky to spend a few days visiting with my folks than driving back to West Texas, then coming back to Dallas for Tyrel. (Plus she gets to visit family!) So I am taking Kimber and Dakota back to Becky. We have a one day overlap to visit. Not certain yet if Nickole will come back with me or go home with Becky. Thursday, we all abandon Mom (Rose) again. (Ralph still won't be HOME, as he is going to have to go into a rehab center for a few days first.)
My old faithful pressure canner died this week.
 It would not release the seal. At first, I thought it was just *me*. But Daniel is quite strong, and HE tried and tried to open it was well. I got a mallet, trying to force the lid to turn, and only succeeded in breaking the handle off and loosening the rivet holding the handle in place, allowing pressure to escape around the rivet when I later tried to bring it up to pressure. The lid finally unsealed when I got the canner hot again. But by then, I had broken it. I ordered a new canner... from Amazon. T-Fal 22 quart. It arrived moments ago. May it serve as long and as faithfully as my old one. (I have had it at least 25 years. It was mom's (or Granny's?) before that, and had been used for years and years. The company is out of business and parts are hard to come by!)
So I am about to get busy canning this afternoon. I have been bringing in at least 8 lbs. per day of tomatoes. Some days even more! The wonderful Kellogg's Breakfast Tomatoes weigh more than a pound EACH. Some weigh over a pound and a half. This afternoon, I did fresh salsa using JUST the KBT. (Plus our home grown onions, cilantro, and jalapenos, and store tomatillos, lime juice, salt and garlic.)
Our okra is just starting to produce. I got a handful today, but can see I will have a good crop by tomorrow. "Granola" was right... my cherry tomatoes are being kept in good check by Becky's girls, particularly Dakota! I am selling squash twice a week to The Wooden Spoon, averaging just over 20 lbs. total per week. Not including all we can eat, and me freezing or dehydrating so much we probably won't use it all this year. However, it IS slowing down. (Time to replant! Growing squash is like growing money!) Maybe I can talk Mr C into an acorn squash, and perhaps a pattypan for fall. It isn't too late for pumpkins, I don't think.
Anyway- these tomatoes aren't going to preserve themselves. Have a blessed day. Thank you for reading.

No comments: