Monday, May 17, 2010

The Perils of the Treadmill

Two of my grandchildren stayed the night with us Saturday night. It was a terribly rainy day. We live out in the country, and when the kids can't go out and play, there isn't a whole lot for them to do at CowGranny and Grumpaw's house. They brought a few video games along, and played with Samuel and Dan. Then, we watched a couple of rented movies. One, "The Fantastic Mr. Fox", was VERY funny. Much better than I had anticipated.

After growing bored with watching TV and playing computer games, the kids asked to walk on the treadmill. The treadmill is NOT a toy. Alana had only flip-flops... and I wouldn't let her go fast on it. I had to forbid them to both be touching the machine at the same time, as Connor wanted to set it so fast Alana would be flung off.

They played, strictly supervised, on the treadmill for awhile then lost interest. Later, without asking, they returned to it and turned it on themselves. Since they seemed to have the hang of it, I wasn't watching them as closely, only making sure they stuck to one at a time and didn't try going too fast. Connor decided to try walking backwards on it. He narrowly missed being flung off the end... which is quite near a large piece of heavy furniture. I discouraged backwards walking.
Next, I see him about to go off the end once more and spoke sharply to him.
He had his eyes closed!

It wasn't long until we hear a terrible crash and moaning and whining. Connor had fallen off the end of the treadmill, into the furniture, and was wedged in a heap with the belt abrading him. He had tried the eyes closed bit again. I shut it off and demanded they both stay off it. Connor dragged himself in a dramatic crawl over behind the couch. He said he wasn't hurt. He laid in a heap behind the couch for 20 minutes or so, until I asked him what he was doing. He said he was waiting for me to take him home!

He reminds me SO MUCH of his Dad at this age. Not only spitting image in looks, but the same temperament. Very dramatic, very needy.

He may be a bit bruised, but wouldn't let me examine him. I think it was his dignity that took the worst hit.

I have pictures of them up at Moocrew2.

No comments: