Tuesday, August 27, 2019

So long to Summertime

It's the end of August.
Last night brought a cool front, along with some severe storms. We didn't have any real damage with the high winds and inch+ rainfall. The rest of the 10 day forecast has us in the low 80's... so just MAYBE we are past summer's heat.

Over the weekend, Mr C and I took Nickole to visit Glynna in OKC. I think they enjoyed getting to see one another. Tom had not wanted me to fill out an approval form for him for visitation, so he waited in the car.

Today was the (second) day of a new school week. I am trying so hard to keep things rolling along. I get frustrated when the simplest worksheets are viewed as a dissertation for a Doctorate degree. (By this, I mean that the worksheet is so hard it is just asking TOO MUCH of a 10 year old to write five sentences, or do a 12 word Word Search. TWO pages of math, with 20 problems on a page? I'm talking addition and subtraction under 100) "BUT WHY! WHY? WHY! Do I have to spell the words correctly?"

 The drama wears me out.
This week, I am (once again) trying a new approach. I choose videos and documentaries of subjects that need to be covered. Then I give her a related,  "close reading" short worksheet . Swap subjects before frustration sets in.

I ordered the 3rd grade level "Pace" workbooks for English. They will cover quite a bit of our missing materials/ learning gaps. It goes over correctly forming cursive letters, consonants and vowels, names of parts of speech. Maybe we can get through them quickly. They are supposed to arrive next week.

For math, I am still using free worksheets and drills, but going to start her on Khan Academy soon.
Hope your day is blessed.

No comments: