Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Maybe not a Hollywood explosion

 Sam has been awaiting a package from a soap company. He ordered a pine tar soap, plus a shampoo and conditioner. He had mentioned several times that it should be here any day! Then, it showed "out for Delivery" on the tracking number.
But, the package didn't arrive.
Monday is our shopping and errand day.
With Daniel here to visit, Sam took a rare "personal day off". Our errands were late in getting started. Tom and I left Nickole here with a minor chores list, while Dan and Sam did yard work. We were barely on the dirt road when Tom realized he'd left something behind that he needed, so we turned around. We were not 1/4 mile from the house... and my phone started chirruping. Messages from Nickole.
"Um... Cowgranny? There was a phone call from the USPS. I didn't answer it."
"um, Cowgranny? The person left a message for Sam Coder that his package exploded"
"Um, Cowgranny... The caller's message wants you to come to the post office and get the package that blew up..."

By the time this message hit, we were already getting out of the car. Tom retrieved his missing item. I called the Post Office. Yes, they "had just called about a package addressed to Samuel Coder. While out for delivery on Saturday, the package had become overheated. It 'exploded'," the clerk said... "so the carrier returned it to the post office, as it was leaking a smelly goo. Could we come and retrieve the package? They thought it may contain essential oils."

Our errand list started again, with getting Sam's package. The Post Office loaned us a plastic tote that the package had been setting in. I put the tote in the trunk, and Tom and I ran errands. The fumes were getting to me within a few miles. It took longer for them to start Mr C's eyes watering.
On arrival back at the house, Sam photographed and opened his leaky package.
He emailed the company, "I got a call from the Post office that my package from your company had 'exploded' en route to delivery. After I picked it up from the Post Office, I was most disappointed to find that instead of the Hollywood style fireball explosion that I had expected to find... the shampoo had simply blown off its cap, resulting in it leaking all over the contents of the box and out of the cardboard."

The soap company responded quickly. They had had a great laugh at Sam's description. They upgraded his order and got a new package shipped the same afternoon.

The post Office tote has been rinsed out... repeatedly. It has quit sudsing up with each rinse... but it still stings my eyes if I am too close to it! I'm letting it air a few more days before I return it.

No comments: