Monday, July 2, 2018

Changed plans... still waffley

Mr C left for Ohio without me this morning. Since I am not going along this time, neither is Nickole. His vacation will be more like an actual vacation without being in charge of a needy child.
Instead, I will be going down to Texas in a few days. I will be taking care of the garden in the meantime. This won't put the entire burden of the place on Daniel and Sam all week.
  I know there are just a few of you who are 'regulars' among my readers. (My total "following" is about 12!) Most of you already know the reason I didn't go to Ohio this trip. For those who don't...
My stepfather Ralph has a birthday on the 9th. For his birthday ( 84/ 85th?) ... he is having open heart surgery. (Actually, the surgery is later this week, but he may still be in the hospital on his birthday.) A good number of years ago, he had stents put in his arteries to his heart. A recent check-up indicated he may have a blockage, so a test was scheduled. They were going to replace the old stents if necessary. It looks like the old stents ARE the problem. They had somehow twisted, or turned sideways (from our understanding of the docs explanation). They cannot be replaced easily, but have resulted in a 98% blockage on one side and a 99% blockage on the other. The only recourse is the open heart surgery. Due to his medications, the surgery wasn't immediate, but had to be scheduled for later time so he could be off his meds for a number of days. I am going down to be an official hand holder 😌 . Or maybe driver, as Mom will be stressed enough without dealing with traffic to and from Tyler every day.
It will also give me a chance to spend time with Dad and Kathie, after Dad's stroke and Kathie's surgery recovery. I will only get to stay a few days, due to garden obligations.
I was torn about what to do with Nickole. I know she was really looking forward to spending time in Ohio. I tried to think of some way to get her to Becky's for a visit... not wanting to cut Nickole's summer short. (More on that in a bit). Becky and Stephen are in the final push to get Doug and Nola's new house completed. In about a week, Connor, Alana, and Gavin will be headed to Becky's for a visit. With her five, adding three before they get moved to the "big house" is plenty, without adding Nickole in the mix. Last night, Nickole was out kicking the soccer ball around with Daniel and Sam. I went out to fill the hummingbird feeder, and caught a bit of Nickole's monologue. She was telling them that she 'really hoped she didn't have to go back home just yet, as it would be a big disappointment to her Poppo and to her Mom'. She explained that when she gets back, then they would have to take care of her. She said she 'knows they love her, but they really get tired of taking care of her all the time'.
So... She will just stay with us awhile longer. I may HAVE to have her and Gavin at the same time, though Mr. C was hoping to have them separately. Math will continue. She's improving, but not up to grade level yet. (This is where *no child left behind* sucks. You get promoted to the next grade without being competent in basic skills, such as addition and subtraction facts. If you miss out on the basics, there is no "catching up" in higher grades. You HAVE to HAVE a solid foundation to build on!) Nickole has gotten angry with me several times as we do flash cards, telling me she learned this in SECOND grade. I tell her that "Obviously you didn't", as she struggles with the math facts. (9+2= 10)
"No... try again."
 "IT'S 10! "
"Nine plus Two is NOT TEN. Try again." (Glaring, shrieking, foot stomping. Finally, finger counting and a puzzled look.)
"oh. it's 11. I MEANT to say 11."
I was talking to Arlene (Tom's Mom) about our adventures in math, and that I feel like I need to keep Nickole longer to try and get her up to speed in math, Arlene asked me, "Why you?"
I answered, "If not me, then who? Someone needs to take the responsibility."
We have told Nickole, as she struggles with the Khan Academy math tutorials, we will allow you to fail the math problems. You learn from making the mistakes and correcting them. But we will NOT allow you to be a failure. You are a failure when you give up and refuse to try.
So... the summer adventure continues. Not what I had expected. And since I really didn't have a solid plan, I can't say it isn't what I planned. But isn't that life?
Please be praying for Ralph, and for Nickole. Thanks for reading!

No comments: