Tuesday, August 27, 2024

A "Visit" Home

 The middle of August somehow marks the end of summer, with Back To School. Despite temperatures in excess of 100*, Summer is gone. With school starting, American Heritage Girls and Trail Life Boys has geared back up. I brought Nickole back to Oklahoma for our troops' Camporee at New Life Ranch. Sam attended, with Nickole as her adult on premises. A good time and chiggers were had by all.

Sam went back to work Monday feeling like he had not had a weekend at all. He's pretty tired. Mr C and I tried to get back into our long established routines, with errands on Monday. I had attempted to bring the house back up to speed over the weekend. Those who know me, know that "Up to Speed" isn't all that perfect. It's still got quite a way to go, and it's mostly uphill. I AM getting better about ignoring things that need to be done and stopping when I am tired.
This trip, I caught the tomato harvest up again- twelve quarts of  tomato puree, three and a half pints of tomato sauce. (*Caught up* doesn't cover the two gallons picked today)

Since my last post here, my brother Eric (Ricky) was in and out of the hospital several times. He appeared to be losing blood, and the fine Docs at the VA in OKC couldn't figure out why. They decided to test his bone marrow. It was discovered that he has Myelodysplastic Syndrome. He was initially elated that he didn't have Leukemia, because leukemia is cancer. 

I wanted to know what myelodysplastic syndrome was- so I looked it up. It's cancer. There are a lot of treatments available- and even a cure is possible! The cure is a bone marrow transplant- effective about 80% of the time in patients that are 48 and younger, and have no other major health issues. My brother doesn't fall into that 80% effective group. He has at least 5 other major health issues, not counting his age. (Well over 48!) His best chance at a donor is a sibling, followed by his child. The donor must not have any major health issues. Rick, Rob, and I are the siblings. Rob is out due to several major health issues. That leaves me among the siblings. I am willing, if we are a close enough match, and IF they will accept blood from someone out of their target age range. (The national donors list removes donors when they reach 61. I am... older than that.) Donors are ruled out, even if they are a match if they have: Pulmonary disease, Heart disease, Blood Clots, Diabetes... which both my brothers have. I know Eric and I have different blood types, but I am in a group known as "Universal Donor", and was told he is in a group known as a "Universal Recipient".

I got a message from my eldest granddaughter yesterday. So proud of Alana! She was planning how many invitations she needs to order for her COLLEGE GRADUATION! in December. For some families, College Graduation is the norm. In my parents families, it is not. Alana isn't the first to attend college, but she is the first to be a college graduate.

I am not going to be home for long. Nickole and I have eye exams on Sept. 5th, and then we head back to Texas. I'm in the final lap of getting the estates settled. I have to have an appraiser out to give property valuations for future tax purposes. Get property deeds changed. Fill out documents and jump hoops to have stocks sold and added to the estate account. Finally, taxes estimated and paid for next year. Once this year's taxes are filed (Early in 2025), the estate will be settled.

At least one of the pieces of property has been in the family for 111 years. Not long, as history would count. VERY long as family generations go. That is seven generations that I am aware of.


Thank you for continued prayers for my niece Tanya.
For Eric and Robbie and their health issues.
Strength and a sound mind for my Mom (and I!)
that estate finalization goes smoothly.

No comments: