Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Cool!

The weather has cooled off, maybe for the rest of this year. The high today is supposed to be 66*. It isn't supposed to get back up into the 90's at all, at least the weather guessers are saying that.
I still have okra, tomatoes, and peppers in the garden. Okra picking is still daily, but is slowing up, some.This is our first year to grow okra, and it has been the easiest crop I have ever had to take care of. Many of my plants are over 10 feet tall, some have to be 12 feet tall.
My hens are producing at least five eggs a day. One day I got SEVEN eggs from eight hens. Most of them use the same nest box! One just drops her egg in random places- I know it is the same hen, as her eggs have a small mark on each one- a light banding the other eggs don't have.
In my egg bounty, I have been trying to use as fast as they can lay, but it isn't really happening! I made "pickled eggs" for the first time. They are... different. Up until now, I don't think I had ever eaten a pickled egg. I am also pickling okra. This, too, is a first. My trial batch was a hit, so I have about a dozen jars put by now.
I am looking forward to the Taylor Family Reunion this weekend. Mr C has decided to stay home and look after the birds and beasts. I will be taking along chicken, potato salad, and some auction stuff. I think I am EXPECTED to bring jellies to auction! If I get my round tuits taken care of, I will take some hand made stuffed kids toys. None of my grands will be there this year, (as far as I know) but maybe some great nieces and nephews will come.
Our annual Ohio trip is towards the end of October.
Sam may (or not!) be in Germany then. He is waiting news of when our friend is having his surgery scheduled before buying his ticket. Dan may be holding down the fort all alone. (If Sam's trip and ours coincide.)
Oh dog! Jaffa has spied the groundhog in our yard.
He is going crazy with trying to get it. I have let him out a couple of times, and he runs around barking and digging where ever he last saw or smelled it. He is wandering now from front door to back with a whimpering beg whine to go out. He does NOT NEED to go out. Last year he actually caught and killed one.
Well, may your day be blessed and your every need met. Thank you for reading.

No comments: