Tuesday, October 2, 2018

October-ish

Yes. It is October.
Seems like the year has just FLOWN by.  This past weekend was the annual Taylor Family reunion down in Broken Bow. It was not a big affair- but we enjoyed one another's company for a few hours. The ragweed has been dragging me around by my sinuses, so some of the cooler days have still seen me hostage to the filtered (and expensive) air conditioned atmosphere of the house. Some days, I brave the out of doors, snot cloth in hand. I am still getting okra from the garden, though ALMOST everything else has gone.
My chickens gave me eight eggs from eight hens yesterday! With the garden mostly gone, I have been letting them out in the late afternoon to have a good forage around the yard. They seem to really enjoy their unconfined time... and by keeping them inside their pen until afternoon... my eggs have been inside the coop and not under some random bush or woodpile.
You may not be able to tell, but the okra is about 12 feet high.
The plant in the lower part of the frame is "Steve's Son". "Steve" was the name of the ghost chile plant Sam and Daniel grew from a seed a number of years ago. One of the saved seeds was viable, and produced more ghost chilies than any one family NEEDS. We MIGHT move Steve's Son to the greenhouse for the winter... it remains to be decided.
Sam will be hearing any time now about the trip to Germany- it could be just a couple of weeks away.
Daniel hasn't heard from the Fire Department yet.
That's about all from here. Thanks for reading!

No comments: