Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Hobbling along!

My third broken toe in under 13 months! It is interesting colors today. This is the same toe I caught on Benjamin's bathtub on Christmas Day 2017. This time, I stubbed it on a heavy duty metal bench clamp I had moved out of Daniel's (former) bedroom. I had left it near the front door until such a time as I felt well enough to cart it out to the tool shed. If you know me, I seldom go barefoot.  This incident was after a hot soaky bath I sat in, hoping to feel better from a bug I had picked up in Texas. The dog was barking to get inside, and I went to let him in before putting my shoes on. That was all it took! (Someone has suggested I may need to wear steel toed boots, even to bed!)
Since my last post, Mr C reconsidered, and says I can go to the H.O.M.E. Retreat in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to attending.
I am homesick for Daniel... it's going to take awhile to adjust to just three people at home.

It's amazing how much "presence" a person has. I know it is true not only of our family, but of other large families as well... You might have five or six kids still in the house, but you feel the emptiness of even one less person. I can't imagine how lonely the empty nesters are, who only ever had one or two children grow up on them.
Or maybe I am projecting. Maybe they miss it less because they didn't have as much "psychic" space being used.
Thankfully, I have had adjustment time with each of my kids leaving home. They didn't all go at once.
It's "funny" (weird funny) that, while I love and miss my family when we are apart- I seldom to never feel lonely. Have you ever just felt like someone was with you all the time? I once accidentally made two cups of coffee, and was on my way to sit and drink coffee with ????  I had a cup in each hand and had left the kitchen, when I realized I was home alone. Had been all day. Back then, we didn't even have a pet. I have no idea who I poured that second cup for.
I spent six days home alone over Thanksgiving. I never felt the pall of loneliness. I'm sure I would feel much more alone if that was all I had. I knew my family was coming back. I wasn't going to STAY alone for a prolonged time.
My fall in the woods last year did make me feel old. All the "what if" scenarios. If I lived all alone, I would have to be hyper vigilant about walking in the woods. It was scary enough to have fallen into the ravine and knowing it would be hours before anyone even missed me... had I lived alone, it could be days.
Well, I best hobble on down to the mailbox. Our postal person has been coming way earlier, and I missed getting letters sent yesterday!

No comments: