Thursday, January 24, 2019

In today's episode of "But First"...

All the little things. I don't even know what today's goal IS! That is, a specific thing I want to have accomplished by the end of the day. OK, yes I do.
I started out this morning with the end result in mind: moving the big file cabinet out of my closet and into the "spare" bedroom. Tom has been saying for a week that he would help me move it, but we seem to forget about it when he is home. It is big- maybe 54" tall, 30" deep, and 20" wide. Steel. Not a flimsy steel, but heavy duty gonna last forever steel.

It would be easier to move if I actually go through the files first.
In looking yesterday for a specific document (which I did NOT find)... drawers got opened that have been closed for... shall I just say "awhile"? I found "keepsake" packets from Becky, Ben, and Tommy's days at Central High Elementary school. In some of the files, we have instructional and warranty packets from appliances and such, older than Becky. Which we haven't owned in at least a decade.
Clearly, I need to purge the filing cabinet!
It isn't just the simple matter of transporting from one room to another. If I do THAT- the file cabinet isn't going to be 'dealt with'.
Before I can sort through the file cabinet, I need to move the stuff that has been crowded into the closet in front of it. These things need a place to BELONG.
"If everyone would just put things back where they belong!"
My trouble is not having an assigned place for many items. I just move them around so they aren't in my way "right now".
I tried to get "something" accomplished. I start by getting dressed. I am one of those people who can't function in pajamas. I go to get dressed... but first I need to shower. This is the point where I (usually) make my bed. I decide the sheets need washed, so skip making the bed. SHOWER. But first go get the phone, because I may get an important call today and I don't want to miss it. Oh, I better gather dirty clothes- I can catch laundry up today.
SHOWER! I am going to shower. I stayed on track long enough to get showered and dressed. The dirty clothes are gathered, laundry is started.
I assess the spare room. Tom and Sam want it left "open" so they can work out in there. I decided to also move my chest of drawers into there- better than the living room, right?
I empty the chest and redistribute the contents- thinking of better places for 90% of the stuff. (Not that I actually PUT anything away "elsewhere"- it sits on the table and couch for now, because the "elsewhere" places also need cleaned first.)
In all my shuffle drag shuffle shuffle drag shuffle, I once again conclude I have too much stuff. I really don't know where to begin with so much of it.
I am dealing with sentimentality. I deal with, what? That I finally HAVE?
I don't know how common it is among people growing up NOT having much. The holding on to "EVERYTHING".
I have my Granny's collection of ceramic chickens, as well as many of her other small knick knacks. They meant things to her due to the people who gave them to her- or the places she visited. To me, they are my Granny's treasures- how can I just get rid of them? They don't have their original sentimentality attached, but a second generation sentimentality.
I hope my kids don't feel the need to hold on to things just because they were mine. I am given all sorts of little things that I do enjoy, and I treasure them because of the person I associate these things with. But they are just THINGS. I have tried getting rid of so much stuff, only to find I have hurt someones feelings that gave me the item. My kids need not continue to hold on to these things... and they are all just THINGS.
In dealing with MYSELF over getting rid of stuff, I am trying to consider both functionality as well as sentimentality. Why don't I get rid of the stack of ugly plastic bowls, and USE the beautiful antique bowls I have? They are stacked up high, safe from harm... but doing nothing except collecting the greasy kitchen dust and taking up space.
I have been reading about how young people do not want "old" stuff- they want brand new, matchy matchy items. They aren't sentimental about Grandma's dishes.
Sam says I should start every task with the end result in mind. But first...

No comments: