Tuesday, December 15, 2015

One week in the new digs....

Progress is being made daily in getting unpacked and settled. We have now actually cooked and consumed three or four meals here. Some pictures are hung. Some curtains are up. Since all the bedrooms had blinds, curtains aren't an absolute necessity. The back door  had no coverings, so I got magnetic curtain rods and ordered some sheer panels. The back door faces a field, so sheers are good enough to prevent folks seeing inside, yet let in enough light that perhaps  my plants may live.
There are FOUR windows in this place- not counting the back door (French doors). Dan thinks we should count the peephole in the front door as a window.

Yesterday, I got the box of bathroom stuff unpacked. I noted that the little hanging cabinet was held to the wall by a single screw- but that screw went into a stud. Two hours later... a mighty crash- sounds of breaking glass. The  cabinet had fallen from the wall, taking out the poorly placed TP roll holder in its descent. The lone screw remained in the stud... The plastic L bracket had broken. I cleaned up the mess, re-boxing everything for now. My losses included a bottle of essential oil, a recycled cat food dish that held the bottles of oil, and a recycled candle jar that held Q-tips. (As well as the Q-tips, being covered in glass fragments.) I have stuff on hand to repair the wall where the toilet paper holder had been placed. Tom and I had previously discussed its poor location in regards to use... it was already pulling loose through the sheetrock. The cabinet just finished the removal.

We finished clean up of the Vaughn house. Yard and all was looking quite well when we turned over the keys. Or, sort of turned over the keys. Former landlord was supposed to have met us there. When they didn't show or call, I texted them. They called to allow as they had had a change of plans, we should just leave the keys in a designated location, and they would mail us our deposit. Saturday was the final page to that chapter of our lives.
The Vaughn house was where son Chris got married. Where Bill Joe called to let us know the tornado was bearing down on us, from his vantage point at the XNA security tower. (missed us by 1/4 mile!)
It was where Becky found out she was pregnant with Tyrel, on a visit to see us. It was the place where I got the terrible calls about Bill Joe, and about Roger. It's where several pets passed on.
It was the only place any of our grandchildren remember us living. A place full of good and bad memories.

We are looking at this house as a temporary measure, while we continue to house hunt. But Sam and I have decided to treat it as if it is long term. To be comfortable here. To bloom where we are planted, even if it seems like just being uprooted and over-wintered in a garage. Thus, curtains are going up, pictures on the walls. The dining room table placed where we can (and do) actually eat on it.

I have gone through some long packed boxes. One was packed back when WalMart bags were blue! I tossed many items I had held on to... time had cured the sentimental issues with many of the items. I uncovered some things I had wondered where they had ever gone- I found a little knick knack that had been given to me when I was at the hospital birthing Christopher... I discovered it on his birthday. (He turned 36 a few days ago).
Speaking of birthdays, our "LG" Becky will be 30 tomorrow. Wow. Happy Birthday to Becky!
I suppose I best hit "publish" on this post, and get busy. I still have so much to get done.
Thank You for reading!

No comments: