Thursday, February 22, 2018

It all depends on context....

I missed a mandatory meeting for work Tuesday evening. I was busy hugging the husband of a co-worker. My son Sam saw me, and called my co-worker, causing her to miss the meeting as well.

That sounds pretty sketchy, doesn't it? It summarized what happened, and sounds risque.

The details of what actually happened really sort this out. I wasn't at the meeting at work, because I failed to read the bulletin board Friday when I worked, after having been out sick for so many days. I had no idea we were even HAVING a meeting. But I did get a postcard AND a reminder phone call that the Mennonite School was having its regular blood drive on Tuesday evening. As I am a *Universal Donor* (O-), I try to donate every time I can. Daniel and Sam had been planning to cook an eggroll supper for Sam's bosses family. Dan pre-cooked the eggroll filling, and  put it into the fridge to cool.
We headed to the blood drive early. It was scheduled to start at 4:30, and we figured we'd be home by 5:30 if we were among the first there.
The blood bank had started a brand new check-in system, and you can pre-register your donation by computer or cell phone. We learned of this upon our arrival. Dan pre-registered on the spot, as it was another 15-20 minutes before they would be set up to start drawing blood. I don't carry a cell phone, so I waited until they had their walk-in tablets ready to use. This was their second day of the new system, and the first day this crew was out without an IT guy... the IT folks being in Springfield, Missouri, two and a half hours away without the ice storm snaking its way between us. Dan was first in line... and their printer didn't work for the pre-registered people. They hit *print* so many times, Dan's name was red-flagged in the system. Other glitches occurred. I was fast tracked to the front of the line- about the fourth donor to actually GIVE blood, as they had the tablet check in working more quickly than the pre- registration check in.
My blood was bagged, I was sent to the recovery area to wait for Daniel and/ or Sam. Sam arrived, and was actually done donating before they got Daniel started... such was the systems failure that night.
Where's the part about hugging my co-worker's husband? I am just getting to that.
I am sitting in the recovery area with a bag of peanuts and a glass of lemonade. I am across a school cafeteria table from a young woman, and we were having a good chat. My Spoon co-worker Diane's husband Merle is a regular blood donor. He was still giving blood when I sat down in the recovery area, but he wasn't too far behind me. Merle comes out and sits on the same side of the table I am on, and says, "I haven't ever felt like this after giving blood. I don't feel so great." The other lady across from us suggested he drink something, and have a snack. Merle didn't respond. She was reaching to get him something to drink, and asks if he wants lemonade, or would he rather have water? Merle doesn't answer. I look at Merle... and see his eyes roll back in his head and he is falling backwards off the stool attached to the table. I jumped up and grabbed him, but he is out cold. I am looking into the donation room, my face must have registered pure panic.  The lady across jumps up, but is just standing there, horrified. The people in the donation room are looking out, and they see me supporting Merle, who is still keeled over- I am getting LOOKS... "Why is that lady hugging Merle?" for several moments before people in there react. Men come running, and nurses and aides from the blood bank come in. They help ease Merle to the floor. In all the time I have held on to him, he hasn't drawn a breath. The nurse is patting his face, chafing his hands, and calling his name. "Merle? Merle! Merle!... I need you to wake up, Merle!"
He gives a shuddering gasp, and I could tell he was breathing, but I was so freaked out. He was shaking- I didn't know if that was normal or a seizure. Sam's donation is finished, and he comes out into the recovery area. I asked if anyone had Diane's phone number... Sam called our Spoon boss Jane, and got Diane's phone number, and called Diane to come to the school. Merle opened his eyes, but was VERY disoriented. They had him sit up, but stay on the floor as they continued to take his vital signs and question him.
Meanwhile, Dan's donation had been started and was taking a very long time. It ended up "clotting out" and having to be stopped. By then, we had been at the school well over 2 hours, and still had to go back home for the boys to pick up the food they were taking before traveling BACK past the school to Sam's boss' house. We left before Diane arrived.
The ice storm hit the edge of our county a short while later, so Tom and I asked the boys to be prudent and not out too late. I knew nothing about the work meeting until I got to work the next morning. Of all the people not really needed at a mandatory meeting, it is the dishwasher. So my absence was forgiven.

No comments: