Tuesday, March 1, 2016

March 2016

Here it is the first of the month... I am trying to keep busy, keep a good attitude.
Grand daughter Alana will be a teen in a few days! My Dad will be 79.
The days turn into weeks, the weeks,months. The seasons change, and the years roll along.
Coming up on the 4th anniversary of Bill's transition into the next phase of life. In some ways, it is easier than it was at first, but in others, it is still so hard.

I see have not mentioned that Dan did finally get a vehicle. After months of searching, and many disappointments, he is the very proud new owner of a 2006 Nissan Frontier pick-up. In the last days of his searching, he saw  "an old person car"... a 1998 Lincoln Town car. He was considering buying it... but it was gone when he took Tom over to look at it. Then, the truck came up, and he bought that. Tom drove back by where Dan had seen the Lincoln... and there it was. He got out to look it over. Only 70,300 miles on it. It had been owned by a little old lady whose husband passed... and she didn't drive. She sold it to another elderly couple... who owned several vehicles. A broken hip limited their driving, so it was up for sale again. Yeah, it is now parked in our driveway. (Well, *I* am old enough for senior discounts now, and Tom did pass the 60 mark!) I can hardly wait to take it for a road trip.

I got out of the house for awhile today. I voted, then went over to Hobby Lobby to get a frame for Alana's birthday present from her Dad. Maybe I can drive it on over to her tomorrow or the next day. Or wait and see if Mr C wants to go over on the weekend. I find I get out less and less all the time. At first, I blamed not having a vehicle. Now, I have TWO at my disposal... and I still seldom get out. When I do, it is on a raft of errands. (I also shopped Aldi while I was out.)

Now, supper is in the oven. I am interested in seeing how this turns out. I called it "Culture Clash". I made "lasagna"... out of what we typically use in our home cooked Chinese food.  I cooked (quick fried) some eggroll wrappers, and set them aside. Sauteed some cabbage with some teriyaki sauce (divided use), cooked some sliced marinated chicken breast along with some sliced mushrooms, and added some drained water chestnuts. Two packages of two different kinds of frozen "stir fry" veggies. One had sweet and sour sauce, which I added to the chicken as it cooked. I crumbled some of the eggroll wrappers into the bottom of a sprayed casserole dish. Layer of cooked cabbage,  layer of stir fried veggies. More crumbled eggroll wrappers. Layer with the meat mixture. another layer of cabbage, eggroll wrappers, and final amount of stir fried vegetables. I added 1/2 cup of water with Better Than Bullion chicken flavor to keep it from drying too much in the oven. Covered with foil. It is baking now. I am fixing to uncover it, and lightly sprinkle a last topping of  the fried eggroll wrappers. We shall see how the boys like it. The fried eggroll wrappers keep it from being totally a Trim Healthy Mama meal, but it should come in fairly well on the low calorie scale. Let's see how the guys like it!


No comments: