Thursday, June 21, 2018

First (official) Day of Summer!

Summer is here by the calendar! Nickole and I have been out picking blackberries/ raspberries this week, though we still don't have enough for jelly. They are just beginning to ripen.


No, we cannot "be done" picking berries. We have only been out here for 10 minutes.





The garden is going great blazes... at least with squash! I sold more than 5 lbs. to the Spoon on Tuesday. Wednesday, I picked four and a quarter lbs. more, and Thursday (today) another five lbs. We are eating as fast as we can, but I sure need to get a pile up to the Spoon!
I was looking for a recipe to use up onions, as we pulled ours from the garden this week, getting the final pile from the garden this morning. I had expected the ones in the garden to stay in the ground several more weeks, but they are DONE growing and were declining. This unexpected harvesting took place a few days after I purchased a case of Vidalia onions from the grocery store clearance. I have dried onions, had onion rings, fresh onion, cooked onion, and today I am making French Onion Chicken Stew for supper. It featured thyme as the primary seasoning herb. Hence, the shot of Nickole with "Thyme on her Hands"!
We are just picking 'first fruits' of tomatoes... I bring them in before they are 100% ripe, to finish up out of harm's way indoors. Seems like leaving them on the vines until perfect means that critters get our wonderful tomatoes. I can hardly wait to taste them!

No comments: