Friday, March 15, 2019

Ides of March

In reading Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in high school, I wondered about "The Ides of March", and looked it up. Back then, no internet! I learned it referred March 15.
 How's that for a bit of trivia from more than 40 years ago? (May 28 will be 40 years since my High School graduation.)

A more recent anniversary is coming up. March 24, 2008 was the start date of this blog!
(Leave a comment, I'll send you something!)

Today, I have a few pots of seeds starting for our garden this year.
I have the house in decent shape, no longer a terrible struggle to stay on top of everything. I have fewer balls to juggle these days. All of my kids have finished their Home Schooling. All but one have found time to "prove up" on their education and gain a GED.
Just one grown child left at home, plus Mr C and myself. I am no longer babysitting... I had Matthew T. when I began the blog here. He is graduating Jr High in May. On to High School this fall! I am currently not holding any job outside of the home.

I am trying to be a good wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, or friend, to those I encounter.
God has been teaching me things, whether I wanted to learn them or not. How to listen for His voice, when trying to encourage others. How to walk out grief... though it seems more He is dragging me through some days when I fall in a heap and refuse to move.
I wonder if He ever rolls His Eyes at me in exasperation? I remember how one of my kids would RUSH though school work, completing every assignment in minutes. In grading the assignment, I would find most answers incorrect. Giving the assignment back to the child, with instructions on correcting the wrong answers would send the child into a tantrum (there isn't any other word for it that comes to mind) where said child would lay in a sobbing heap on the floor, screaming I 'only marked the answers wrong because I hated (this child). I didn't mark brother's answers wrong! I love brother more than (this child)'! (Brother who took three hours on a ten minute assignment made me as exasperated as this child who rushed through, but for other reasons.)
No amount of explanation of why a subject had to be mastered for ones own benefit would penetrate the tantrum.

So, I lay in a heap and cry. I scream and question, "WHY?"
God is teaching me the things I need to know to further His plans for the Earth. I have to walk the walk (or be dragged along like a recalcitrant toddler). There is a reason for all we walk through. We may or may not ever know how it all fits together in this lifetime. God already knows, and we just have to accept that, as my kids had to accept that they would someday need to know the lessons they learned in their school work. (Except maybe algebra. I have never used it in the 40 years since graduation... but that's beside the point.)

May you have a blessed day, no matter where your circumstances of the day land you.

No comments: