Monday, March 4, 2019

Disrupted routines

I think that I get a little too comfortable with my routines. I have never adapted well to change. Today is Monday- our regular shopping / errand day. I don't know if we are even going out today- we are generally in the store by this time.
Mr C has been sick for several days. He is somewhat on the mend, but not 100% yet. And the roads are covered in slickery. We got about 1/2 inch of snow yesterday. It won't get above freezing until tomorrow- and then, barely so. It is 6* right now ("feels like -3*"). Sam went to work in his nice, front wheel drive Subaru. He said there ARE patches of black ice, but those who take it slowly won't fall off the road. Between sickness and ice, I really don't think we HAVE to go to town today.

We had a wonderful visit with Ben and Paula and their offspring last week. Milo decided he really CAN walk while they were here. He also warmed up to me... on Thursday. (They left Friday morning.) That's how my kids always were. When grandparents came to visit, they were aloof and wary until the last day or so of the visit.
It really was a nice visit.
Even if Cowgranny scared the shrieking bejeebers out of Milo, and made Althea SO sad. I told Paula, "Althea says I can keep Milo here when you go home." Althea had said no such thing, and burst into tears, she didn't want to leave her baby brother behind. (Most of the other grands would of argued with me as I teased. Althea took my word as fact. I felt bad!)
One afternoon, Milo and I were playing "peek". There was a recliner between us, and we would peek at one another. We would try creeping around and peeking from a different point at the other, and laugh and laugh. So, knowing how much Milo loved playing "Monster Roar" with his Dad... I stayed hidden behind the chair. He came wandering around- I wasn't there. (I kept the chair between us.) Then as he was rounding the chair, I popped out with a "boo". Poor baby! He screamed- which brought Mommy running from another room- and burst into tears. Granny was no longer a fun person. (He forgave me and snuggled shortly afterwards.)

I am coming up on my grand daughter Alana's birthday tomorrow, and my Dad will be 82 the day after. I had mailed Alana's card early, as they were going on a cruise. But I completely let Dad's slip my mind until yesterday. In Becky's facebook feed was a picture taken 7 years ago, of the family gathered for Dad's 75th birthday.
It was our last family gathering with Bill Joe. Roger was there. My cousin's DIL was there. Those three are no longer with us. Sunday will be 7 years since we lost Bill Joe. I try to let March slip past me without dwelling on it... but I am not quite successful. Six years, eleven months and 20 days ago.
The clock keeps ticking. So I remind everyone once again- give your family a hug. Tell them that you love them. We aren't promised tomorrow.


No comments: