Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homebody

Today, the boys and I made a batch of laundry detergent. I also tried home-made dishwasher detergent from a recipe I got from Pinterest. We have run one load of dishes, and I am really impressed. The recipe was certainly easy, and I haven't seen the inside of the dishwasher ever sparkle quite this much.
 I mixed together in a quart canning jar: 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, and 1/2 cup coarse salt. Add 2 packets of unsweetened lemonade flavor KoolAide (It is full of citric acid.)
Shake this together. Add 1 tablespoon of this mixture to the dishwasher detergent dispenser, along with JUST 3 (three!) drops of  Dawn dish soap. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the bottom of the dishwasher, and it is ready to run.
The boys did the math on our laundry detergent and on our dishwasher detergent. The total cost of both items was less than $7 to make. An equivalent amount of store bought detergents would be at least $51.

My unpacking has fallen behind. I am way off the goal of unpacking at least one box per day. Saturday's box did finally uncover the food processor! Hooray!
Mr. C was impressed the birthday gifts I came up with for my Dad. It is difficult to get gifts for a person who really doesn't NEED anything.

No comments: