Sunday, March 11, 2018

Friendship

I have been thinking about my dear friend Angie. I reflected on our long standing friendship.
I had two cards I sent her returned this week, as "Unclaimed".  I double checked with her- yes I had used the correct address. She forgot to check the mailbox.
"Angie", I said... "I sent one of these cards for your birthday. In December. How can you forget to check the mail since December?"
"October" she told me.
I didn't understand how that was possible. I check the mail daily... and sometimes even on Sundays!
But then, I write. And I used to work for the post office.
Angie calls. She used to work for the telephone company.
I seldom call anyone- but I do talk when people call me. (Mr C thinks I never shut up!)

Angie and I have been friends since I was about the age that my youngest two are now- I was not quite 22.  I have my cousin Jeanie to thank for our friendship. Angie and Jeanie used to be neighbors. Jeanie moved away, then I moved into the same apartment complex. One day Angie knocked at my door, and introduced herself.
I have never been good at making friends. Angie was persistent. She would come over. Like, every day. We would drink coffee and the kids would play. She maintained contact, when I was a person who shut everyone out.
We have been through a lot. Divorces, marriages, kids in jail. We were (often!) pregnant together. She was the first person I ever knew who had a home birth. We are now learning to get through losing a child.
I think maybe we are past the point of just being friends. We are bonded sisters.
I love you, Ang. Thanks for making the effort to be my friend!


No comments: