Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Life of Leisure... Day 14

Tom and I are back from a whirlwind trip to Texas. Over 1800 miles in 6 days, start to finish. Mr. C's week of vacation, established back in November to meet new baby Coder.
We spent more time driving than we did in getting to visit anyone! But even short visits are good.
  We now have a good lot of the garden planted. Tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cayenne, tabasco, tomatillos, okra, beets, radishes, turnips, potatoes, beans, and several herbs. I got a few more tomatoes planted from seed yesterday, as we couldn't find Roma tomato plants. While we were gone, something took out one of the tomato plants we had established. That took us down to 38... before planting Roma seeds. We planted squash and cucumber seed. In a week or so, we will be putting in some sort of trellis system for many of the plants. The tomatoes will need supports, and if we can get the normally sprawling squash and cucumbers to grow UP instead of out, it will be great. The plan is to use T posts and some recycled goat wire fence to make the trellises.
This year our garden sort of turns a corner. (As in, it goes around the storm shelter.) It's the sunniest area we have for planting.  Not included in these pictures, we have a planting area behind the carports, and raised beds farther up the driveway.

 Daniel and Sam put together this planter, for my Mother's Day gift from them.


Later this week, DS#4 Stephen (Tommy) (Child 5.0) is coming up to the area for a wedding. He is an awesome 'replacement groomsman', apparently. He's going to stop by and visit awhile. We are hoping to get to meet his girlfriend, who is also taking part in the aforementioned wedding.

I have been playing catch-up around the house. Pushing the limits of the arm's ability just a bit. I am somewhat better... I can now lift my cast iron skillets myself, if I use both arms. So today will mark a re-stock of the breakfast burritos in the freezer. (Frankly, I am tired of the mess from 3 guys cooking 3 breakfasts every morning. So two of you wanted hash browns? And you can't cook them in one skillet, because one wanted diced potatoes and one used shreds? And the egg skillet isn't big enough for the potatoes... three dirty pans!!!! EVERY. Morning.)
(And the toaster? I put it away THREE times yesterday!)
Yeah. It's past time for me to refill the freezer with burritos.
   I saw a bird hovering like a Harrier just outside the glass storm door.
On checking, I found a small nest just over the porch light.  I am NOT keen on the birds nesting there, and was going to remove their nest. But, I was too late! Four wee little eggs are already there. I think it is the same family that set up in one of my house plants on the porch last year. (I was later getting my plants outside this year.) So, they get to stay until the babies are out of the nest.


        Maybe some bird houses would be good projects for "Camp Cowgranny". I'd really like to have some bat houses as well. For sure, my Grand campers will be getting good garden vegetables, and farm experience. (For several, it will be just like home!) Camp CowGranny is a time for the cousins to spend some time together, as well as with CowGranny and Umpaw.

It's time for me to get busy around here! Besides breakfast burritos, today's agenda is:
 *Floors (sweep, mop, vacuum)
 *Bathrooms
*Declutter (I have at least half a dozen items to be carted to the shed until needed.)
*Supper (the plan is stuffed pork chops and roasted vegetables).
I'd best Get On with it! Thanks for reading!                                                                 

No comments: