Saturday, May 12, 2018

New Grandson; Ponderings

Last weekend, Mr. C and I traveled to Texas. We first drove 688 miles to Beeville. Got to spend a short 3 hours visiting DS#1. From Beeville, it is just over 300 miles to Ben and Paula's house. New grandson Milo Gabriel is a carbon copy of his elder brother Jasher. I got to hold Milo once, for a few minutes. He and Paula are trying to remain in a germ- free seclusion, as many of the family in Western Central Texas have been ill, and no one wants baby to get sick. The day after our arrival was Grace Remington's fourth birthday. That is one sassy little girl! We stayed the second night with Ben and Paula, then left them for Becky's house for our third night. It was too short of a visit, but it is "prime" garden time, and we have a larger garden in the works. From Becky's we drove to Eastern Texas, and stayed the night with my folks. It was a brief visit with both of my parents and step parents, less than 24 hours. Thursday saw us headed home.
  Unfortunately, it was too late for most of the plants in my greenhouse. The heat, and lack of watering DAILY (even multiple times daily) saw the demise of most of my not-yet planted pepper plants, and a majority of my sprouted flowers and herbs. :( (Sad face.)
The dishes had piled up, and our trip gear made the house into a chaos zone. One of my chickens that insisted on escaping the pen at every opportunity met her demise. It was an annoying homecoming.

Friday, Tom and I got up and got started on the gardening. We planted, ran to Lowe's, did laundry, and dishes, and cleaned. Today was much like yesterday. Both Daniel and Sam had the full weekend off! (Last weekend, at least one worked Saturday.) I worked on my flower bed, and hanging baskets, and planted herbs.

This evening, I sat at one of our picnic tables. The yard is mowed, the garden was being watered. It looks like we live in a park. Most of the day was spent outside. I pulled weeds (left handed) from one of the islands of irises. If I work diligently daily, I may be able to keep up flower bed weeding.

Since being out of work due to the tendonitis, my arm use is REALLY limited. If it hurts, I no longer "push through the pain", as I did when I believed it was arthritis. When it hurts, I STOP. I am amazed at how little it takes to set the arm throbbing.

I instant messaged with a grandson this evening. I am so looking forward to having the grands over the summer. I can't do all at the same time, and have to plan for which pair best with one another. I haven't set a "Camp Cowgranny" date as of yet- a time for all the grands who CAN be here, to spend time together for a few days.

My nieces remember spending time with MY Granny, (their "GG") and doing things with her. If those short times they got to spend with her made such a lasting impression, I am hoping my time with the grands will leave them with good memories of me when they are grown up.
This summer will be a LOT of garden work, and some local swimming and library activities. I am thinking we may do nature notebooks, and possibly a study on bats. Then, when "Uncle" Becky has them, possibly a trip to see the bats in Mason, TX. (MAYBE we can build bat houses for here!)

So, there are my updates. Keep my grands in prayer that illness be healed and not spread among the family. Thank you for reading!

No comments: