Tuesday, June 30, 2009

But first...

My mom called me this morning, saying she was going to be going through her shed today while it is "cool" (only 90* instead of 102*+). She and Ralph are hoping to come up next week and bring my corner hutch. My Grandfather built it in the early 80's, probably one of his last projects before he became sick with cancer. It was built into the corner of the dining room of the house. Mom bought the house a few years after PawPaw died, and just re-did the dining room. I laid claim to the hutch. One thing after another has kept the hutch at Mom's... but they are ready for it to be out of their way.

Before the hutch arrives, we had HOPED to be moved to our new place. Seeing as how there is no new place to move to even on the horizon, I have had Ben and the twins slaving away all morning. I decided the best place to put the hutch is in the SE corner of the front room. To get it there, I had to move the buffet and the shelving unit stacked on top of it. (Due to a knick knack shelving unit on the wall, I couldn't leave the buffet shelving unit on top of the buffet and slide the whole thing down)

I decided to take the shelving unit off the top of the buffet, and move the buffet over about four feet. The removed shelf would stack on top of the second shelving unit where the fish tank sat.
(But first) we had to move the fish tank. And the "game" TV and TV stand.

We drained and cleaned the aquarium. Dan and Sam made room for the game TV in their room. Ben carried the TV for them. Then he carted out the nearly empty aquarium, so we could drain and clean it outside. (Much better idea than the kitchen sink!) I cleaned and wiped off the shelves... Ben doing the high shelves of the unit on the buffet.
Then we discovered it is an extremely tight fit for the shelving unit atop the shelving unit... the thermostat at one end and the light switch to the kitchen at the other end. We squeezed it in anyway.

Sam swept and mopped as we rearranged. Dan scrubbed aquarium parts. We got the buffet slid down to its new place, and set up the aquarium on top of it. Just as we plugged in the last of the aquarium accessories, Mr C arrived home for lunch. I told him what we are doing... and why.

He said I should just call my Mom and tell her NO- we don't have room for the hutch. I put off calling until he was ready to go back to work. As he headed out the door, he decided it would be OK to go ahead with the hutch plans... "just one more thing to move".

The boys and I have been on an extended break since lunch. If we don't get back to work soon, we will end up not completing the rearrange. While Mr C was still home, I got all the knick knacks and videos and DVD's put back onto the moved shelf unit. I even tried sorting the dvd's into categories.

Guess I ought to call the boys back in here so we can finish. Have a great day.

No comments: