Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Attitude

Is it ever all right to despise people, as a class or group?

I don't think it is.

Some of my facebook friends joined a group (which even misspelled its own name) that believes it is better to use prisoners, rather than animals, in laboratory tests. I just don't understand the thinking.

Prisoners are locked up for committing crimes. They are being punished. To suggest that they be used in place of test animals is so... so... I can't even come up with a word to convey the wrongness of the idea.

Once you head down that path, saying this class of people is only worth using to experiment on, you are headed down the road that led to the concentration camps in Germany. Who decides which group of people goes next?

I read a little snippet somewhere the other day, You are judged by the quality of your enemies. If you have really, really BAD enemies, you must be a really important person, is what the statement was implying.

I got to thinking about it. As far as I know, I don't have ANY enemies. Maybe a few "frenemies" (just saw term yesterday, thought it was a good one!) ... but I can't say there is anyone I actively hate.
Not even Whatshisname, my ex. I am pretty well indifferent to him.

To hate someone gives them power over you. It requires energy to maintain. It keeps you thinking about them. It isn't worth the effort.

Having lived for many years unforgiven, I can say that it takes a toll. Reciprocating the unforgiveness would have destroyed several lives... rippling out like waves from a stone in a pond. Knowing God is my ultimate judge, and having obtained His forgiveness, I have tried to keep the damages as small as I can by not striking back against those who do not forgive.

We should judge ourselves. Perfecting ones own heart takes a lifetime.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I see all kinds of groups on Facebook that seem so "out there"

I LOVE being connected with so many people that I would otherwise have no contact with, but there is definitely a lot of prejudice and hate mongering on some of those groups. Some of them seem like they are attempting to be humourous, but most are just plain malicious.