Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

I cooked the blackeyed peas yesterday, as well as some cabbage sauteed in bacon grease. The peas weren't done in time for supper, but the cabbage was delicious.
(Don't make me eat it Mommy... you said it was delicious! When Becky was three or four years old, she had decided she did NOT like some dish that everyone else had said was "delicious" So she decided that if it was delicious, she was NOT going to eat it... whatever it was,)

Anyway, I really do not eat breakfast. So about 10:00 this morning, having done my walking, started a load of clothes, and cleaned the kitchen back up from last night, and got the pork roast and sauerkraut on to cook... I warmed up the black eyed peas and had them for "brunch". Very tasty.

I got to wondering how black eyed peas and other "traditional foods", became traditional foods.   Did the husband come in and ask the wife: "Did you get a pork roast and sauerkraut fro celebrating the new year?"
 And the wife says, "Pork roast and sauerkraut? Are you kidding? You will be lucky if you get black eyed peas and cabbage!"

The kids heard the exchange and decided that it must make you lucky to eat black-eyed peas and cabbage, but pork roast and sauerkraut was good if you could afford it.

Well, that was my theory anyway.

May you have a wonderfully blessed 2011!

No comments: