Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Logistics, logistics

I know, I know. I have said MANY times I love logistics.

Right now, I am working on my Thanksgiving logistical problem. How to add 6 to 8 adult bodies and 5 more kids to our house, and still have those who need to sleep, ABLE to sleep. I am figuring that Ben will need his room, since he will still be working. Ditto with Mr C. So, I am intending to add Tommy and Roger to Ben's room. Computer access, smelly guys... works out OK. I am pretty sure I can get two more twin mattresses in there.

Next sticky wicket: Do I toss out Dan and Sam to put Becky and Stephen and the kids in the twins room? I can add a queen air bed in there, once the mattresses are moved to other rooms. It would give Kimber and Ty a nap area... and I can probably nap Nickole in there during the day. It will also corral Becky and Stephen's stuff.

Next, Bill and Glynna. The laundry room on another airbed? My laundry room is the bigger than any of the bedrooms. Glynna doesn't travel lightly, so I have to find a place for her to have her stuff. (Sorry Glynna, but you KNOW it is true. I have never seen anyone need a super sized suitcase for an overnight trip before!) They can let Nickole nap either in my room or the twins room during the days.

I still have Connor and Alana and the twins, plus Mom and Ralph. If Mom and Ralph bring their travel trailer, I will put either Bill and Glynna out there, or the twins, with Mom. Connor and Alana can sleep on the hide-a-bed here in the house. If Mom and Ralph don't bring the trailer... another air bed in the "dining room" is their usual spot. The twins can "camp" in the van- it has a king sized bed, which I have slept comfortably on, on several occasions. The airbeds in the laundry room and dining room will have to be deflated and stored each day, but that is "do-able".

I really miss MY HOUSE! (The one we sold five years ago, in Central High). My house had room for everyone, without needing campers and vans. Oh well, guess I ought to get over it already.

Ahhh. I feel better, having come to somewhat of a plan of sleeping arrangements.

Daniel is organizing the lower cupboards today, and Sam the upper ones. I am working on menues, since I expect my company will be here more than just Thanksgiving day. I have to do the menues before I can assess whether or not I have ingredients and supplies on hand. My 'decor' for the holiday will be limited... I have one little plastic "turkey pilgrim", a new tablecloth (Thanks Mom!) and some candles.

Our "traditional" meal for a crowd, served on several Thanksgiving eves, is "Leesa's Enchiladas". After trying Leesa's recipe, I made some adaptations. They are YUMMY and easy. I may do the big crowd cop out for one meal... spaghetti. (Remind me to prep some sauce beforehand!)

Kids, the Thanksgiving menu as it now stands: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, candied sweet potatoes, fruit salad, green bean casserole, Gma Ruby's hot rolls, and a relish tray.
Oh yeah, pies for dessert. Am I missing anything? I think I need at least one more veggie.

Thanksgiving Eve: Enchiladas, Spanish rice, Salad.

Breakfasts: breakfast burritoes, eggs and sausage, biscuits and gravy, blueberry pancakes. (Not all on the same day.)

Friday- Sunday: leftovers; turkey pot pie, turkey noodle soup.

Guess I better lay in some sandwich makings too. And hit up the Little Debbie outlet for snacks.

Whew... I got a lot accomplished, right here on my blog. And I won't LOSE it like I am prone to do with my paper notes!

Have a great day~

1 comment:

Becky said...

Frozen fruit salad.