Monday, February 22, 2010

Whew.

We just had the taxes done. SO glad it is over with. We did it the "painless" way... at a family tax preparer we have used for the last 4 or 5 years.

I am thankful to not have to THINK about doing the taxes, though we were a simple form this year. It took less than 20 minutes, since the place we use has our basic information stored from last year.

I have had to spend HOURS, literally, on the phone with the IRS in years past. One year, our refund failed to show up, failed to show up, failed to show up. Finally, I got a form from the IRS needing "more information". I called them. I was informed that I had put incorrect birth date data on the form. (The form has no place for actual birth dates on them. Not now, not then!)

The woman I spoke to told me the IRS was showing we had submitted information indicating we have used the SAME birthdate for more than one child. She needed the correct information on our childrens' dates of birth. I told her that the date of 06/17/1996 was correct on both children. She tried to tell me it could NOT be correct. I finally asked her if she had ever heard of TWINS?

"Um..... yes. Guess your information was correct after all. We'll get your refund right out to you."

After that, I always added a little * by the boys names and off to the side "*twins".

No comments: