Monday, August 4, 2008

My kids have 'mart 'marts

At least they are reputedly VERY smart. ('mart 'marts came about when they were little, discussing how smart they were- one of them said they had smart-smarts, but didn't pronounce the "S's"... 'mart-'marts stuck.)

You know I am going to mention a less than stellar moment of smarts, don't you?

Chris called Benjamin on Saturday, wanting him to come visit for a few days. It was decided that Ben would go down to DFW Monday and return on Wednesday. I am sure the two of them will emerge into the light on Wednesday evening, blinking against the sun, after three days of non-stop internet game competitions.

Anyway, it fell to me to take Benny to the airport this morning. Before we left the house, I questioned him. He had his driver's license for ID, his pass code to fly, 'something to do' while waiting for the flight....

I pulled up to the passenger drop off, confirming that Ben had at least my cell number in case he needed to call me. Nope. He didn't have that, nor have it memorized. So he wrote down the number. Would have helped if I had had my cell on me, to give him Chris' numbers... (which I don't have memorized either.)

Ben writes down the numbers. I asked him if he had enough money.

"Money? No..... " He looks very puzzled.

(I am not speaking a foreign language!)

"What do I need MONEY for? I am just going to Chris' for a few days."

Hmmm. My almost 20 year old is about to hop on an airplane and fly to one of the busiest airports in the country. He now has MY phone number- but not his brother's... and not a dime on his person. Not that he could make a phone call on a dime.

What if he got bumped off the flight? (We only have standby privileges). What if the landing gate changed- and Chris needed to know where to pick him up? DFW Airport is its own city. No joke- it has its own zip code and everything. An actual, incorporated city. It will be well over 100 today at DFW... what if Ben needs water while waiting? (Ok, he could probably find a fountain). But GEE! to ASSUME he will not need ANY money... I think he forgot to pack his 'mart marts. (Was it a line from The Glass Menagerie... 'I have learned to rely on the kindness of strangers'...?)

I gave him what cash I had... it is at least enough for a phone call!

I suppose my mandatory fretting will have to be divided between Ben flying to DFW today, and Tommy being on the road to Colorado. His is participating in the annual Trek that the men and boys of his new church make each year. It will be trip of many firsts for Tommy. He hasn't ever been away from family, except for three days at Falls Creek Youth camp one summer several years back. He hasn't been 'out west' any farther than west Texas. He has never seen 'real' mountains. So this will be a big expedition for him. New worlds opening up. Thankfully, the men on this Trek are the kind of folks one WANTS influencing their youth. I know Tommy will be blessed on this trip.

May you have a wonderful, blessed day yourself.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hey Annie, Patty, Missy, and Holly are going too. I WANTED to go, but I have a nursing baby, but you still don't have to worry, they are very good kids and well chaparoned