Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What to fix for supper?

That is more of a challenge in the summer. I try not to turn the stove on any more than I have to. Yesterday, I made a pretty fair rendition of my Aunt Jeans Chicken and Rice Bake.

But I did it (mostly) in the microwave.

Her recipe calls for chicken thighs, white rice, cream of mushroom soup, water, orange juice, and powdered onion soup mix. You mix the rice and water (white rice uses twice as much water as you have rice). Add 1/4 cup of regular orange juice (as opposed to concentrate) to each cup of rice used. Use 1 can of cream of (whatever you have on hand) soup PER CUP of UNCOOKED rice. Mix the soup and OJ right along with the rice and water. Place in a greased!!! casserole dish. Top with skinless chicken (I usually use breasts because Tom and the boys prefer those) and sprinkle lightly with the dry onion soup mix. Seal with foil and bake 45 minutes at 375*.

It is waaay too hot to bake anything. So I precooked the rice (and used brown rice instead of white) in the required amount of water. I put some good sized semi-frozen chicken breasts into my handy dandy Pampered Chef Stoneware Roasting Pan. I nuked the chicken til it was about half way cooked. I tossed in two sliced vidalia (any sweet) onions. Added half a sliced red, and half a sliced green bell pepper. I poured in the cream of (I had mushroom) soup. Stirred in the cooked rice and some OJ. Then returned it to the microwave to finish cooking. *I* thought it was VERY tasty. We had a platter of raw veggies on the side. I didn't add the powdered onion soup mix. The cream of * soup was salty enough I didn't add any extra salt or other seasonings. The leftovers were even better today.

That was yesterday. I'm trying to decide what to fix today. Too late to start anything in the slow cooker. We may just have the old standby: burritos.

1 comment:

Truth said...

Alright, I've gotta try this. But I don't care if I have to turn on my oven. The microwave is too quick for me. I'd have one of your bellavista moments and forget I put something in there. I'd never smell it cooking.