Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Quiet Morning

Mr C was noisy this morning. For once, he slept soundly until the alarm went off. I was the one with the restless night. He got up... and I tried to go back to sleep. After the fourth... or fifth... time he came back into the bedroom, turned on the overhead light, and rummaged through the desk, I should have given up and got up. But I didn't. I tried to go back to sleep. The harder I tried, the more awake I became. I got up... woke Dan to take his every-8-hour antibiotic, and visited the blogs I read. Dan went back to bed, after telling me he got cold during the night last night.

I had asked the Doctor that saw his staph infection, whether dogs can spread it. We have cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned. I have heard that fleas can spread it... and despite frequent washings and all manner of chemicals, Drover and Jaffa both tend to cart around a flea or three. So Drover, who usually sleeps with Daniel, was banished from the bed. Doggies are warm critters!
We cooked a delicious meal last night: Turkey breast (hey, they really DO cook fast!) in the PC roaster, skillet stuffing (saute celery and onions in olive oil, add pan juices from the turkey plus a bit of canned chicken broth, a handful of dried craisins, and a box of Stovetop stuffing. Stick it in the oven the last 15- 20 minutes before supper), Green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and gravy.) Ben got off at 6:00 pm, when Wal Mart closed for the Christmas holiday, so he got to eat with us.

Ben said he wasn't really busy over in produce, but the store was packed all day. People were actually parking in the grass! I know the Dollar General store was packed. I made a town run to find french fried onions for the green bean casserole, plus pick up a few more little birthday items for Tom. (A couple more pair of reading glasses... the two pair I got him at Thanksgiving have BOTH already fallen apart, another sudoku book...)

I have seen five or six cars at a time in the Dollar General parking lot .... but there were probably 30 or more there yesterday. I really try to stay away from town between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year, it just seems I have had to go to town way too much.

On today's agenda... Ben's room getting cleaned. The 'guest bed' inflatable mattress being located, and sufficient bedding being located for it. Air beds are NOT warm, so I will need extra padding between the mattress and sheets.

Maybe we will tackle re-doing the laundry/ storage room. All of the junk we have no room for is stacked in there. All the boxes still packed from the last time we were "just about to move". The kitty "box". We have partly solved Al's litter box problem. She was going in laundry baskets, and when we began putting those up out of range, I saw that the way she used her kitty box was faulty. One those front paws hit the litter... she "went". Except her business end was still out of the box. So we brought in a huge tub that cattle feed is sold in. It is a "half barrel" in size, a good 20" deep. She has to get inside of it, and nothing can hang over the sides. It has helped a lot, though is people leave baskets down, or dirty clothes on the floor... she still has accidents. The poor senile kitty is 17 years old.

I have been trying to think of what to make for supper tonight. I am leaning hard to turkey and dumplings. At some point in the next couple of days, I will either have to bake the Mississippi Mud cake for Tom's birthday, or assign one of the kids to do it. If I bake it early, he will be into it early. I simply won't have time to do it on his birthday Saturday. (Working 8-5).
Have a blessed day today!

No comments: