Friday, May 2, 2008

More House Repair

If I could only think of it as HOME maintenance. But this house where we live isn't home- it is just where we happen to live at the moment.
Storms blew through again last night. High winds blew a fan out of the kitchen window and into the sink. I got up to close the west windows against the rain, and just turned the fan off. I didn't even turn on the lights as I went through the house. I took the fan out of the sink and sat it on the counter top.
Mr C got up this morning and started to make coffee. The minute he turned on the faucet, water went everywhere. Looks like the fan was the final blow that broke internal bits off the corroded old faucet. Luckily, there is a water shut-off valve under the sink!

We could have called the property management company and complained, and been put on their waiting for repairs list. (It took them four months to get our stove fixed last year.) Instead, we just went to Lowes and got the cheapest replacement faucet we could find. There were none with sprayers that had the correct 'hole configuration'- so I no longer have a sink sprayer. I miss it already! While we were there, we got new screen material and spline to fix our screens. ONE of the broken screens was our fault- the stupid dog leaping through it. The other broken screens were missing when we moved in, or destroyed by hail in the tornado two years ago. Tom fixed all the broken ones. Now we can open more windows.

I have been working on putting together our Mother's Day presents. I have my Step-Mom's and Tom's Mom's ready to package and mail. I have to go up to my former job's receiving department and see if I can recycle a couple of their boxes. My Mom's gift isn't done yet. Maybe I can finish hers up and drive it down to her in Russellville.

This is TWO Fridays in a row we have had repair projects going on. My washing machine is as good as new.... but that didn't keep me from drooling while I was at Lowes!

Daniel and Sam planted their seedlings into the garden. I suppose we ought to get some hot peppers and maybe a couple of 'older' tomato plants. (And flowers! I want flowers, I want flowers!)

Get everything all fixed up nicely- setting ourselves up to move.

2 comments:

Truth said...

Way-to-go on getting the Mother's Day gifts together. I haven't even thought about it yet.

I hear you on the home repairs, they are killer here and I LIKE where I live. I can only imagine how I would feel in your shoes. I hope you find a "home" some day soon.

Becky said...

WHAT? No Blog all weekend?
We're home safe. But you already know that, because I am about to call you.