Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Shopping with Kids

I really hate shopping with small children- especially if I am clothes shopping for myself. Once upon a time, I was looking for a mother-of-the-groom outfit. Mr C was in school- a training session mandated by his job. So we were all down in the DFW area. My Mom went with me, as I had five kids along: DD was 14, Ben was 11 or 12, Tommy was abut 10, and the twins were four. Obnoxiously four.

First of all, I lost one of the twins in an upscale department store. I was in a total panic as I called and called- looking among the racks of clothing where they liked to hide. The twin in my sight was giggling and making faces at his reflection in the mirror. I was just about to call in store security to help me look for the missing twin, when I realized that the reflection was wearing a different outfit than the twin making faces in the mirror. Good Grief! Mom and I grabbed strollers for the twins from the rental rack and made them sit in them while I tried to find a nice dress.

At one point, we were in the "foundations" department. Just the place pre-teen boys really want to hang out. I heard one of them (pretty sure it was Ben) singing a popular TV commercial jingle- but he changed the words just a bit:
"I wonder, wonder, wonder... what's in a Wonder BRA"!

We finally found a dress I decided was going to be just fine. (Read: I was ready to scream and took the next one that fit me). We went "home"... The older kids spent the night with Gramma, while I took the twins and we went to stay at the hotel with Daddy. Whoo Hoo- what fun.

Mr C and I were sure looking forwards to the twins falling asleep. So bedtime came around. The twins were sooo excited, but at last decided it was time to sleep. Sam gave directions: "Dan, You sleep on that bed with Daddy- I will sleep here with Mommy!"

Gotta love little kids.

1 comment:

Truth said...

Ugh! I commented this morning on this post, but when I hit publish, my internet service went down.

This reminded me of why I didn't own many clothes when my children were younger.

Hilarious comment by one of the twins-love the way the kids think when they are that little.