Thursday, June 19, 2008

Growing Up

I woke up earlier this morning than I have in awhile. Probably due to the sunshine: complete daylight by 6:00 in the morning. Even my pillow over my face didn't keep daytime away, so I got up.

Tommy was already up and busy. He was out the door- ALONE- by 7:30. He is off to seek employment. Benjamin, however, is still snoozing away. As are Daniel and Sam. I was telling Mr C last night about how hard the twins were working on their lessons. He suggested I lighten their load some- give them a bit of summer freedom.
I had them start a journal yesterday: Practice at handwriting, putting thoughts into writing, and they can look back on it in the future. Sam wrote about something being missing on his birthday. He decided it was his two favorite members of the opposite sex: His sister Becky and his niece/biggest crush Jade.
******************************************
This time last year, we had just taken our annual "4th of July" float trip. I don't think we will be able to go on a float trip this year- whether on the 4th of July or not. (Last year's float was the day before Father's Day, as we had a mega-party-weekend. We had a baby shower for Becky, the float trip, Father's Day celebration, and the twins' birthday all stuffed into one weekend. It was attended by most of our extended family.) Becky took the twins home with her, Ben and Tommy went with my Dad and SM. We had over a month of NO KIDS. That was the first time that has happened in all the time we have been married.
Last year at this time, DS Chris and I worked at the same place, in the same job capacity. By September, he had moved up in the company, and by October he had moved away- back* to DFW. Now I don't have any extended family in the area. Makes Mr C and I both wonder WHY we would want to buy a house here. He could retire. He has enough time in with the company, as well as enough age to combine into retirement. But he would still have to find a job somewhere. At age 55 (2 1/2 more years) he can retire with full flight benefits. Right now, he could retire without flight benefits... they would kick in when he reached 55. I hope we get moved into a place of our own somewhere before he decides to retire.
*back to DFW: Chris was born in Ft Worth. We moved to Oklahoma when he was about nine
*********************************
Well, the troops are finally rousing. Time to get our day started!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Awww, he missed me on his birthday. How sweet. Did Tommy take your phone? Can I call and harrass him?