Monday, September 1, 2008

September

This has always been one of my favorite months of the year. The weather starts to cool off, school starts, and hunting season begins. With the cooler weather, we begin to use the oven more. I can bake bread and cookies, roast veggies and meats.

This is the month that two of my brothers and one of my grandbabies were born. Except for dealing with ragweed, Fall is my favorite time of year.



******************************

My work at Oreilly's went well. I like being able to help people, no matter what type job I am in. Yesterday, a family trying to get home to Nebraska came in needing a part to fix their vehicle. It was a travel trailer. We have a small rural store, which did NOT have the part. All our supply chain was shut down for the holiday. I found their part in a store just across the state line in Missouri. (We are less than 20 miles from the state lines of both Oklahoma and Missouri). The people were sure they could make it that far, so we did help them as best we could to get back on the road.

This was one of those weekends where I just felt totally 'used up' by the time I got home Sunday evening.

************************************



Matthew's parents have the holiday off, so I am off today as well. Dan and Sam asked if they could play Monopoly as part of their schoolwork today. They listed the many ways that Monopoly is educational. It didn't take much arm twisting for me to agree to let them play! Now their game has dissolved: first into bickering, and then into a "hurricane". They took my turkey baster from the drawer and made "hurricane force winds" blow their houses, hotels and game markers across the table.

************************************

The pears on our chinaberry tree are ripe. I think we may try to can some today. Are you wondering about how a chinaberry tree produces pears? We did too.

Then we discovered that two trees are intertwined so closely that they appear to be one tree. Their trunks actually twist around one another. This is the best pear crop we have seen in the three years we have been in this house.



Three years of Not Unpacking.



Maybe I should use my unexpected day off to unpack stuff. Hang pictures, things like that. (Or maybe I'll take a nap.)

1 comment:

Truth said...

Fall is my very least favorite season (for some of the reasons you mentioned as your favorite.)

A chinaberry tree....I've never seen one of these, but remember my mom talking about having one years ago.