Thursday, July 10, 2008

And what did you do today?

I put in two more online applications before storms necessitated shutting down the borrowed computer. One here, one in Ohio.

Then Tommy, Ben, and I made some blackberry jelly. At least I HOPE it will be jelly.

My pectin expired in 2006.

It turned to baby jellyfish lumps in the boiling syrup. I fished out nearly all of the lumps... and it seemed to be jellificating (technical term) anyway. It is cooling now, and I won't know anything until it is cool. If not jelly, we will have some lovely blackberry syrup. We endeavored to strain all the seeds from the berries and use only the juice, so my Mom can have some. She loves blackberries, but the seeds aggravate her intestines to the point of hospitalization. We don't want that to happen!

Tommy began making some of his wonderful home made bread once we finished the jelly. Maybe he can turn some of the dough into hamburger buns for supper tonight. I think what I need right now, on this lovely thunderstormy afternoon is a NAP.

***********************

This morning while filling out applications, I had to call one of my friends (and former co-worker). She asked if I had heard about another of our former co-workers. He lost his job with Eagle a couple of years ago- shortly after getting married. He was shot and killed yesterday afternoon! This young man has always had a drinking problem. He learned his wife was "seeing" a neighbor. He kicked in the neighbor's door- and was then shot by the neighbor 'in self defense'. He had been drinking before confronting the neighbor. I feel so bad for his daughter- my friend and I had looked after her one evening when her Dad had brought her up to the job. Just so sad.
After hearing about this fellow from my friend- I heard the story on the radio.
**************************

OK... maybe I should try for that nap now.

No comments: