Sunday, July 6, 2008

Evening Quiet

Most of my kids got to see one another over the past few days. Bill Joe was at Chris' house when Becky, Stephen and the twins stopped by. It isn't often we have everyone in the same place at the same time these days... I think that the last time I saw all of my kids together was on the raft trip last summer.

It has been a very quiet day. Tommy has been cleaning non-stop since right after Becky and the boys left yesterday. I finished a book- my reading efforts have waned the last couple of weeks. I can't remember the last time it took me three days to read a paperback.

It is hard adjusting to our kids growing up and scattering. Time and work and finances seem to be at such odds, we don't get to "do" the things with our kids we would like to do. It is also hard on the kids- leaving home is a big step. You try to let them go, and let them know you are there for them if they need you. Root for their successes while not letting them see how hard the letting go is.

Parents always wonder if they have done enough. Have they done things right? What should I have done instead, or in addition to what was done? I'm sure my own parents feel the same way. You can go through life full of regrets: Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda ... Or just let go and hope pray for the best.
***************************

I have been looking online at employment opportunities. It appears that if I want to work for Lowes, I must be available 24/7 to meet their scheduling needs. I can't do that and keep Matthew... or should I say I can't do that unless they assign me an afternoon shift. I'm thinking I may go out tomorrow with a box full of resumes and see what fairly local jobs are available in Centerton, Decatur, and Gentry. I am pretty much triangulated between those towns.
*******************************

Mr C and I are (even more than usual) trying to decide where we are headed. Buy a house here, or move to Ohio?
My brain hurts from thinking about it.
I actually have my clothes packed to drive to Ohio to job hunt.
No, Mom and Becky, I didn't mention it, because I probably won't be going.

The "plan" is for me (and Ben?) to head up there and job hunt. Tom to follow after I have a job.
Drawbacks abound. He doesn't want to work for Eagle in Columbus. He doesn't want to drive 50 miles to work, as would be needed to live in the Hocking Hills and commute. The few places he has thought might be potential homes here are from 30 to 45 miles from his job here. I said if he was going to drive that far to work, why not do it in Ohio? To just drive up there and find jobs would be easy enough... but! Is it worth the stress and hassle?
Mr C can't pack up this place to move. Well, Maybe he could but he would take the opportunity to dispose of the things he doesn't consider important: i.e. MY STUFF!
What would happen if I did go and get a job there? I would probably end up having to quit and come back here- making the entire ordeal pointless. Not to mention expensive. Oops, too late, I mentioned it.
*forehead banging on desk*

*sigh*

No comments: